A Lawyer You Can Trust

Experienced, compassionate and dedicated to your needs.
Serving you with respect and kindness for over a decade.

Bergen County Name Change Lawyer

Bergen County and Passaic County Attorney Helping Clients Legally Change a Name

Changing your name is a relatively simple process. However, even simple legal procedures can seem daunting to a person unfamiliar with the law. Mistakes can lead to unexpected consequences, including the dismissal of your case.

At The Law Offices of Susan S. Long, we are dedicated to making the process of changing your name as easy as possible for you. Our Bergen County name change attorney will guide you through the process and help you understand the procedures required to change your name and obtain a new:

  • Driver’s license
  • Professional license
  • Social Security card
  • Passport
  • Amended birth certificate

Requirements for a Change of Name in New Jersey

In some cases, a person may want to change his or her name to legally use a nickname, as part of a civil union or to take a same-sex partner’s last name, for religious reasons, or even to make a political statement. A person may also simply dislike his or her name or have another personal reason for the change.

If you are at least 18 years old, you can change your first, middle or last name for nearly any reason. However, you cannot change your name to avoid creditors, civil judgment, criminal prosecution or for any other fraudulent purpose.

In New Jersey, the first step to changing your name is to file what is known as a Verified Complaint with the court. This document is simply your application to the court to change your name.

After review of your application and receipt of documentation confirming you have performed the additional required steps (i.e. publishing the name change in the newspaper) the court will hold a hearing to issue a Final Judgment. This final judgment is the document you need to change your personal identification such as your license and Social Security card.

Contact The Law Offices of Susan S. Long

Our lawyer can help you apply to the court for a name change and understand the requirements. Call The Law Offices of Susan S. Long at 201-749-5418 or contact us online for a free initial consultation. Evening and weekend appointments are available upon request.